The Captain Peter Greene House, built in 1723, was in distress when the owner bought the home in 2009. An existing addition housing all of the plumbing was built in two parts; the middle section with a crawl space around 1860 and the end section with a basement in 1950. The original 5 over 5 room layout contained all original interior features from the period and had not been disturbed.
In addition to a full restoration of the original envelope, the existing wing was removed (except for the 1950's foundation) and a more contemporary 850 sf addition was built on the same footprint. The addition includes a new bathroom, kitchen, living room and deck.
The owner received a Homeowner Project Award as part of the 2011 Rhody Awards for Historic Preservation. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Warwick, Rhode Island
Contractor: Casa Buena Builders